Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Here goes something

Welcome to the first blog entry of my first blog. Blog. It's a word you'd think I would have grown used to by now, like Skype or Google, as it has been around for over a decade, but for some reason I still think it sounds weird. It's like the sound you make when you are gagging or something. Anyway, welcome. I'm glad you're here.

So, why am I blogging, then? Well, it goes a little something like this: my job allows me plenty of free time to do with as I please, as long as what I please involves me sitting in front of my computer 9+ hours a day, smiling at the few who walk through the door and answering an occasional phone call with "Thanks for calling ____ _____, how can I help you?" So, what do I find myself doing with all that free time? I wish I could say I spend my days bettering myself reading high brow literature or taking online classes for a master's degree or even editing the novels I wrote as part of National Novel Writing Month. Alas, I cannot. Most days I spend emailing and instant messaging friends, dumping loads of time into the black hole called Facebook, or visiting the many other websites and blogs I have bookmarked on Firefox. So, if I'm going to be spending loads of time online, sharing my favorite finds on the internet with friends and family via Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Buzz (yeah right!), StumbleUpon or any other of the hundreds of social media tools available these days, I thought "Why not have a central place to post both my thoughts (rants, opinions, whatever you want to call them) and my favorite things that other people have created and posted online for the world to see?" Well, why not is because I will likely just be adding more noise to the already cacophonous interwebs, but one more voice can't really hurt, right?

I'm just sayin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment